A delicious grouse recipe with grouse breasts simmered until tender in a seasoned creamy sauce with red bell pepper and basil are served over rice and topped with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- 1 pound de-boned grouse
- 1 (284 mL) can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1/4 cup finely chopped roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice, cooked without salt
Brown chicken well in large non-stick skillet at medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium.
Stir in soup, red pepper, apple juice, ketchup, garlic and black pepper. Heat to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until chicken is fully cooked – about 20 minutes.
Add basil and stir well. Serve on rice and sprinkle with Mozzarella cheese.
Tip 1: If fresh basil is not available, substitute 1 teaspoon (5 mL) of dried basil leaves, adding it with the black pepper.
Tip 2: Look in your local cheese shop for a unique pasteurized cheese variety and switch it with the Mozzarella for a whole new flavour twist to this dish.